Use a deal diagram shape template to capture details
I am interested in finding out whether anyone has made an effort to create a reasonable standard lexicon for corporate deal diagrams. My own list of requirements/wish list is here:
- Corporate entity types
- C corps – we’ve used rectangles to represent corporations, with a V shape inscribed for a C-corp.
- S corps – we’ve used a rectangle with an inverted V inscribed for an S-corp.
- LLC – we’ve generally used a point-up triangle for an LLC
- LP – same point-up triangle as for the LLC
- GP – a point-down triangle
- Sole proprietorship/Individual – a circle
- Ownership lines with % marked
- governance relations
- board of directors
- managing member
- limited partner
- general partner
- Deal lines
- stuff (goods)
- license, right, or option
- tax benefits, income, & capital gains for, e.g., RE deals
We’ll look for some digrams that we can sanitize to use as examples, for a later post.